Wednesday, June 5, 2024

June 2024

 June 2.

I have worked out how all the doors and walls come together at the forward head. Most of the casings are built and put in place temporarily. I was all kinda like a jig saw puzzle. Things had to be put together in a specific order to get everything locked together. I am very pleased with the results. 

Looking forward. To the left will be a door to the shower and beyond, another door, to the "Vee" berth. To the right, will be a door to the "Vee" berth. 

A close up at the casing and trim.



Final layer of epoxy on the shower pan.
June 16,

I turned my attention back to the oil skin locker near the aft entrance. The top of the locker will have storage held in place by a cargo net attached to sides with hand holds. I had my wife test the hand holds so that she was comfortable. We have vastly different size hands so coming up with something that is comfortable for both of us required a bit of thought. All the hand holds are 6" long and 1.25" wide. The will be 1.25" from the radiused edge. This seams to work for most adult hand sizes. I used a hole saw to cut the rounded ends of the hand holds and used a jig saw to connect the two holes to make elongated slots. The jig saw cuts are cleaned up with a chisel and then block sanded. I also wrapped 80 grit sandpaper around a metal pipe to clean up the hole saw cuts. A router is used to make the radius around the slot and on the top of the hand hold. I spent quite a bit of time cleaning these up before the router work. The router bit bearing is going to follow the wood and any bumps will be translated to the radius.

I have rough cut the hand holds using a hole saw for the ends and then using a jigsaw for the sides. 


A block with 80 grit sand paper is used to clean up the cuts. A router with a bearing is used to round off the edges. If the cuts are not perfectly clean and straight, the bearing will transmit imperfections to the round off. 

Ah, nice and clean.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback is very much appreciated.